Jonathan Field is Inspired by Horses®.
Born into a horse-loving family, Jonathan Field has, at various times in his life, been a competitive rider, a cowboy, a student, and now, a master. Drawing on an immense love and respect for horses, for the last 23 years Jonathan has been in the business of helping horse owners and lovers around the world achieve better horsemanship and, more importantly, a true partnership between horse and rider.
The result is Jonathan Field Horsemanship, Inspired by Horses®: a program designed to teach owners how to become excellent horsemen and women, and overcome any fears – horse and human – they may be experiencing.
Over the last 16 years of building his own program, Jonathan has coached, mentored and shared his knowledge with thousands of riders in hands-on clinics and live showcase events. In so doing, he has fostered lasting relationships between thousands of horses and riders, from brand new riders to elite athletes in every discipline.
The Jonathan Field Horsemanship Program is now being adopted in England, Ireland, Europe, Australia and all over North America. The program has also recently become mandatory training for the Vancouver Police Mounted Unit.
“I want people to be inspired by and become great with horses; to become better than they could ever have imagined; to love, respect and understand the horse; to look after them with the dignity and care that all domesticated horses deserve. And I want them to feel safe and have fun while doing it.” Jonathan Field
The story of Jonathan Field Horsemanship is nothing without your story.
Jonathan Field is Inspired by Horses®. More than that, he is inspired by the partnership between horse and rider.
What can the Jonathan Field Horsemanship program do for you?
- Clear, easy-to-follow steps to excellent horsemanship and a stronger relationship with your horse.
- Natural training methods that honor both horse and human, and apply to every discipline.
- It is the foundation that you build your progress on or the key piece you go back to when things don’t work out. You learn how to take every road block and learn to use that as a way forward.
- We divide the learning in half – first by teaching the human and then taking those skills and applying that knowledge to further advance a horse’s confidence, understanding and ability.
- A fun and interactive learning experience – why? Because it’s fun to have fun and it’s proven to excel the learning curve if we can get past making things too complicated.
- It’s about moving you and your horse forward!
Whether your horsemanship goal is to be safer, better, have more fun, compete, or become a professional rider, your Jonathan Field Horsemanship journey with your horse is crafted to match.
Let Jonathan Field guide you in your story; a story that ends with a lasting bond between horse and rider.
Our Teaching Philosophy
We are about one more important thing: results. We want results but without ever losing either the horses or riders dignity in the process.
Jonathan Field Horsemanship Program teaching philosophy revolves around two things: an immense passion for, and instinctual understanding of, horses; and a belief in the great partnership that horse and rider can, and should, have.
Factoring the nature of both human and horse into his teaching practices, and understanding the fears and resistances that may be driving both in any interaction, Jonathan has equally dedicated himself to learning the art of communication to help the learning process be straight forward and unique to your experience and level. If you want to be safe down the trail or create art with your horse, these teachings are comprehensive.
Your learning experience with Jonathan Field Horsemanship will be guided by the following philosophies:
A methodology guided by the principles of classical horsemanship and the teachings of history’s recent masters in what is now known as the Revolution in Horsemanship: humane natural based equine psychology horse training methods.
A skillfully crafted pathway for horse lovers of all disciplines to gain both the big picture philosophical insights of this method, all the way down to the very specific hands on for ground training and riding. From the very early foundational elements of horsemanship, to the very highest level of balance, flexion and co-ordination required for high level riders, the proof is in the results of the thousands of students Jonathan’s Program has helped.
Jonathan Field Horsemanship is dedicated to helping you build a lasting partnership with your horse.
Whether your horsemanship goals are simply to feel safe and enjoy riding at a beginner level, to correct difficult behaviours with your horse and your handling, to compete at high levels, or to become a professional, all our services and products are designed to help you achieve your horsemanship goals in a way that benefits both horse and owner.
Jonathan Field Horsemanship uses a variety of tools and programs to achieve this:
- An inclusive DVD home study program (hard and digital copies)
- North American Hands-on clinics
- Live showcase events
- Horsemanship support tools and kits, directly designed and exclusively used by Jonathan with his personal horses – from high quality tack like halters, leads and sticks, to Saddle Pads, the Freemotion Saddle, and the Field Slow Feed System.
- The Open Field Learning Membership for ongoing support, tons of information and a connection to Jonathan like no other way.
Using a combination of inspiration and education, Jonathan Field Horsemanship is here to guide you in your journey to a great partnership between horse and rider.
Jonathan’s personal story of horsemanship and teaching is both unique and diverse.
With a cowboy/farrier father and a dressage enthusiast mother, Jonathan was exposed and trained in both English & Western disciplines from an early age and the family was very involved in their local 4H club. As a teenager, he spent four seasons as a working cowboy on the historic Quilchena Cattle Company – one of the largest operating cattle ranches in Canada.
At 19, Jonathan left the ranch and his cowboying days to pursue a stable future with his family’s water well drilling company. However a traumatic drilling accident crushed and amputated all but a half inch of skin on his left wrist and nearly took his life. It was the painful months of recovery and new perspective on life that changed Jonathan forever, leading him to pursue his passion for horsemanship and helping others along the way.
Driven to learn as much as he could, Jonathan spent the next 10yrs studying closely with world renowned horsemen Pat Parelli and gained insights on Horsemanship and teaching that set him on a path towards the success he has today. Many others took time and helped Jonathan along the way like Ronnie Willis (Horseman), Craig Johnson (Reining), Charles du Kunffy (Dressage), George Morris (Jumping) and many others along the way. This diversity also gave him opportunity to hone his horsemanship skills with a variety of horses, from range mustangs and recreational breeds to race horses, jumpers and top dressage mounts.
With a deep-rooted passion for teaching, Jonathan also honed his exceptional skills as an educator and presenter, believing that “the best way to repay your teachers is by passing it on to others”. He’s coached thousands of riders at all levels, from recreational trail riders to professional trainers and elite competitors. He’s taught alongside Olympic-level coaches George Morris (Jumping) and David O’Connor (Eventing), shared his knowledge with vet students at the University of Calgary, coached the Vancouver Police Department Mounted Unit, contributed print articles and television/radio interviews to numerous equestrian organizations, and been a headlining presenter at major expos across North America. He’s been featured on network television and he’s even been a stunt rider on several Hollywood franchise movie sets.
- Horse Expo, Sacramento
- Horse Expo, Pomona
- Equine Affaire, Ohio
- Mane Event, Chilliwack
- Mane Event, Red Deer
- Can-am Expo, Ontario
- Saskatoon Expo, Saskatchewan
- Rocky Mountain Horse Expo, Colorado
- Midwest Horse Fair, Wisconsin
- Equine Affaire, Pomona
- Equine Affair, Massachusetts
- Western Horseman Magazine
- Horse and Rider Magazine
- Canadian Horse Journals
- Horse Illustrated
- Equus Magazine
- Performance Horse Digest
- Northwest Horse Source
- Western Horse Review
Special Events and Appearances
- Invited to Participate at the International Horseman’s Reunion 2013 and 2014
- Road to the Horse – World Championship of Colt Starting Finalist
- University of Calgary – horsemanship education for veterinary students and professors
- BC Young Riders, Dressage – Special Presenter
- Producer/Director of Jonathan Field and Friends, International Horsemanship Education Conference
- Author of The Art of Liberty Training for Horses
- Producer of The Natural Foundation of Horsemanship Home Study Program
- Producer of The Liberty Series home study program
- Producer of The re-Start is Everything home study program
- Producer of The Foundation for Excellence – Jumping with George Morris home study program
- Producer of The Catch home study DVD
- 2014 Jack Brainard Award for Horsemanship at Road to the Horse
- Vimeo, Video of the Week Award for “Jonathan Field” by Salazar Films (see above video)
- Readers Choice Award 2010 in the “Exceptional Equestrian” Category, Equine Consumers’ Guide
- 2005 Innovative Business Award by the Horse Council of BC
Film, Television and Radio
- RedBull Media House documentary “In Harmony with Horses” (full episode).
- “All in with Laila Ali” on CBS television
- Sacramento Morning News, Fox News
- Strange Empire on CBC Stuntman
- Vimeo “Video of the Week” award winner for ‘Jonathan Field Horseman‘ by Salazar productions
- Blackberry commercial “Love What You Do” campaign The Horseman
- Deck the Halls movie Stuntman
- War for the Planet of the Apes movie Stuntman
- In the Name of the King movie Special Skills Extra
- Cowboy Country TV
- The Horse Show with Rick Lamb on RFDTV The Real Jonathan Field
- The Whoa Podcast with John Harrer Inspired by Horses®
- Canada Equine On-Line Podcast, Episode 139
- Horse Radio Network Podcast
- Horses in the Morning Live Morning Show on The Horse Radio Network
- The Rural Channel
This diverse experience, coupled with a constant drive to learn and share, gives Jonathan a unique ability to relate to students and understand horses on a deeper level. His true success can be seen in the special connection he has with his personal horses and shared with thousands of students and fans who’ve been inspired to go out and achieve their dreams.